Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Experience with an Online Community

I had been an avid user of myspace...with all of its spiffy layouts and crazy stalkers. It is funny how different the experience has been with facebook given that the two are very similar and serve similar purposes. I think that in many ways the difference has been how facebook is advertised (as a way to communicate with those friends that you already know). It has focused on the downfalls of myspace and combated them with primarily advertising.

One significant difference is that facebook does not (at least to the same extent) allow for its users to design the layout of their pages. I think that this does change the focus...instead of having to worry about advertising yourself or how you are presenting yourself through layout (like one has to do on myspace), everyone is the same. The focus is not on what your background is; the focus is instead on your content, the writing that is on the page. As an English person, I am fond of this fact. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment